Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hey, Big Spender!

A couple of friends and I went to watch Sweet Charity at RCBC Tower in Makati yesterday! Yes, that exclamation point just indicated my... wait for it, extreme happiness! :)

Of course, for musicals like this that cost 10 times your movie ticket, I expected it to be BIG. And I was not disappointed.

Sweet Charity was, as I expected it to be, fun, light and entertaining. The show also managed to make a surprise through its stage design and lighting. I didn't expect it to have a lots of extra actors and actresses, too. Actors in plays usually portray double roles and sometimes back up minor or unnecessary roles. But in Sweet Charity, there were unnecessary silent characters that made the show more festive. (Sounds like big budget for me. Hehe)

Speaking of characters, the casting was great! Charity Hope Valentine's character fit Nikki Gil very well--so cute and fun. It's my first time to witness Nikki Gil's acting onstage. Though I was not able to watch her debut in Legally Blonde a couple of years ago, I read a few reviews about it that said that Nikki's performance lacked mastery. In Sweet Charity, I think Nikki Gil's act was clean and good. Her energy was very consistent. As for Kris Lawrence, the exagerrated acting was hilarious, but his voice made it even better. His soft and cool singing clearly portayed Oscar Lindguist's sweet and innocent personality. All other actors in the play greatly contributed to this materpiece. To name some, OJ Mariano, Ciara Sotto, Sheree and Shiela Valderrama-Martinez were amusingly great to do hilarious Mary-Jane-inspired Rhythym of Life act and Greek accents.

Today's the last day of showing of Sweet Charity. You still got time to catch Sweet Charity and experience the same fun as I did. :)

PS. The programme was for free, by the way. :)

0 comments: