Friday, February 22, 2008

Books Before Boys

I was surfing the net and came across a book review on a newly released book by a newbie Filipino writer we will call RJ Ledesma. For those who do not know, the author is said to be the "Royal-Tru-Orange" TVC guy. So, was that like a decade ago? No offense peeps, but the name doesn't ring a bell to me.

Despite that I do not know the guy, RJ Ledesma's Lies My Yaya Should Have Told Me actually got my attention. With the menacing look of RJ Ledesma's picture on the front of the orange-covered book, I have considered myself to put it on the list of the things to buy. The book is actually a compilation of essays on his insights on dating, courtships and the like.
The review I read cited some of RJ Ledesma's witty wisecracks from the book, which made it all special to me. =)

*****

Marketing Insight No. 2

In desperate need for a tripod for my 360degrees panoramic shot in my ADRAPHY (Advertising Photography) class, I went impulsively to SM Manila to buy one. Before leaving the mall to proceed to the photoshoot, I saw an attractive store I haven't seen since my last visit in the mall, which was just last month.

It wasn't just the strong color of the signboard, but the store name itself puts strong impact on the passerby people. BUY-THE-BOOK is obviously derived from the famous phrase "By the book." Aside from the homonym/spoof strategy on the brandname, it even asks.demands on the people to purchase the books it's selling. With this, BUY-THE-BOOK is able to attract and draw interest from the people and even make it possible and easier to act on purchasing its products since the price of their hardbound purely English books is very much affordable. Evidently, it made me want to buy "Feng Shui Detective" first before "Lies My Yaya Should Have Told Me."

3 comments:

maychen said...

waah~ this is the one youutold me! ^^ haha~ ^^ i learned so many things from you! ^^ thanks pam! ^^

ms. choy said...

rj also writes for philippine star. at first his witty lines about his yaya was funny but after a while it seems drab. was the book any good?

Anonymous said...

the book is actually a compilation of his essays from his columns from Star and another newspaper. I havent read his works. =)