Tuesday, April 14, 2009

In need of barangay hall... and officials

One of the requirements for my first job is the Barangay Clearance. I asked the HR personnel if I could submit a barangay clearance from our barangay in our province. It was a stupid question, I guess, since I really don't know what the clearance is for. Anyway, the HR personnel told me that I should submit a clearance from the barangay of the place where I am staying here in Manila since the clearance's purpose is to prove that the address I wrote on the forms I have filled up and submitted to their company is valid.

So this morning, I asked the caretaker of the dorm about the barangay which the dorm belongs to. She told me to ask the vendor outside the dorm since he happens to be a barangay tanod. The baranagay tanod/vendor then told me that there's no barangay hall in the barangay I happen to belong to. But he told where to get a barangay clearance. At sa bahay mismo ng barangay captain.

When I went to the barangay captain's house, wala naman si barangay captain. And someone from his house/barangay hall told me he'll be back by 5 in the afternoon pa. And this is his routine--leaves at 10 in the morning and comes back at 5 in the afternoon--everyday.

Correct me if I am wrong since I don't have much idea on politics, but don't barangay captains have to be physically present in barangay halls (or kung saan mang opisina nila)? Well, at least in our province it works that way. And if the captain is not available, some other tanods or assistants are there to serve. I just find it really weird. And ridiculous.

0 comments: